Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I've got it bad

Start-itis that is. I've been trying to be good.
I don't think that it is helping that I have requested a bunch of books from the library recently.

Library Books

One of my coping mechanisms though is to let myself freely start really tiny projects like...

Ayanna's skirt
Ayanna's new skirt

Brandon's "killer" surf trunks
Brandon's "Killer" Surf Trunks


and these little cashmere booties
Booties 3


Brandon and Ayanna are from my collection of Groovy Girl dolls at my library. They are currently out of circulation because they lost their clothes from so much love.

Ayanna's new skirt - Close up

Ayanna's Skirt
Yarn: "Rambling Rose" Zen Yarn Garden (I only had a small bit left from my Gloria v 2.0)
Needles: US 2 circ magic loop

I think this is what I did:
CO 40 stitches
k2 p2 ribbing for about 3/4 inch
K 2-3 rounds
Increase by one stitch every 5 stitches once around
K 2-3 rounds
Increase by one stitch every 6 stitches once around
k 2-3 rounds
Increase by one stitch every 7 stitches once around
k 2-3 rounds
k2, YO around one round
k 2 rounds
p one round
BO
Her shirt is a modified toddler sock cuff.


Brandon's "Killer" Surf Trunks  - closer

Brandon's "Killer" Surf Trunks
Yarn: Yarn Pirate "Killer Bees"
Needles: US 2

I started the legs 2 at a time magic loop. Each leg is 30 stitches around with a little seed stitch edge at the bottom.


Booties 4

Cashmere Baby Booties - a modified version of the angora ones in LMKG
Yarn: Jade Sapphire Mongolian Cashmere
Needles: US 2 circs

LMKG's Angora booties
(photo from LMKG)

My leftover cashmere does not have the same super fuzzy halo of the angora in the photos for the pattern, so my attempt just looked and felt loosely knit and blah.

Odd Booty out

I wasn't satisfied with it's cute-osity (the official cuteness level) from my first attempt, so I made a few modifications.


With smaller needles (US 2 32" circs) I used the "magic cast on" to cast on 12 stitches on each needle. I knit back and forth 8 rows and then picked up 4 stitches on each end of the rectangle (added 2 stitches on each end of each needle to keep things centered) to start knitting in the round on 32 stitches.

Booties 2

I knit until the toe was 2 inches long, then like the pattern I left the center 8 stitches (1/4 of the total) stitches on the "front" needle and knit back and forth on the back needle for 10-12 rows and did the 3 needle bind off up the middle of the heel. I picked up stitches for the cuff (I didn't understand the point of the turning in the pattern) and k1,p1 around.

Booties 1

For my BO I k2 (or purled following the ribbing) put both stitches back on the needle and k2tog, then*k1 and put both stitches back and k2tog*. It made for a bit stretchier top. Thanks to Chawne for getting me hooked on that stretchy BO for toe-ups.

Benny and Joon

They are so cute and soft - I just want to play with them Benny and Joon style.




No new projects started tonight though. Instead I was doing this.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Clarke said...

Can I suggest a book to consider for the library's collection, in the teen/young adult section?
"Outcasts Of Skagaray" is an action adventure fantasy, which might interest readers who like C.S.Lewis or G.P.Taylor. For excerpts, there are sample chapters on www.threeswans.com.au See what you think! My blog, if you want to return this visit, is http://threeswans.blogspot.com

July 01, 2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger Beatriz said...

Sorry I can't help you on the startitis...I just got over my fear of it, so I'd be quite the enabler right now. What I need to thank you for is for posting the tip on a stretchy bind off for toe ups. Where did Chawne find this bind off for toe ups? I've been hesitant to do toe ups because a regular bind off is not stretchy. And I'm not proficient in the sewn bind off yet!

July 02, 2008 9:30 AM  
Blogger Beatriz said...

Just found the link to Wendy Knits...thanks!

July 02, 2008 9:33 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

What great FO's and yeah, when I'm trying hard (OMG I typed yarn. think I need to stop playing and go knit now!) to finish something, sometimes I'll allow myself a little quick knit. Startitis and finishitis all in one evening or two. love it!

July 02, 2008 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The doll clothes and booties are really adorable!

July 02, 2008 9:09 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You absolutely rocking the microknits, woman!

July 03, 2008 3:57 PM  
Blogger magnusmog said...

Love the finger booties !

July 05, 2008 3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home