Sunday, December 07, 2008

Anniversary Cowl

It was a year ago that I sat down with some lovely Yarn Pirate BFL sock yarn to make a cowl for my mom for Christmas. I tried a few different attempts that resulted in not so lovely pooling, and ended up holding the yarn doubled with the colorway staggered.

After Christmas I posted some "how to" information about my Gloria Cowl on my flickr page.
Who knew that I was adding a simple, speedy cowl pattern into the mix right at the start of the cowl craze of 2008.

A Year of Gloria

1. Maryse Ro, 2. Betty Loves Yarn, 3. *Melanie*, 4. flwrhead, 5. jillthereckless, 6. Bertha, 7. JulieFrick, 8. cmr727, 9. knitting by bicycle, 10. terhimon, 11. knitting by bicycle, 12. knittinging,13. aspenglow, 14. Elinor Brown,15. wannabeknittin’ ,16. cauchy09,17. weetsiewoolens, 18. 100%philistinemade, 19. zknitter, 20. sarahemcc, 21. sarahemcc, 22. (anne), 23. novamade, 24. Cyknithia, 25. knitter in the kitchen, 26. riverwoman, 27. elinknits, 28. femiknitter, 29. KessaKnits, 30. funkycarolina, 31. affiknitty, 32. Jejune Ennui, 33. merwenna, 34. jetbot, 35. greendillybean


This year I enjoyed knitting vicariously through all the varied yarn choices and modifications, and I loved seeing all of the ideas that knitters added to make their finished cowls truly their own.

To celebrate a year of Gloria, I have an Anniversary Cowl pattern to share.
It's to celebrate an anniversary, but it is also inspired by the cuff of Nancy Bush's Anniversary Socks in Interweave Knits' Favorite Socks.

Anniversary Cowl - on 1

Ravelry
Gauge: 5 stitches = 1” (of stockinette)
Needle: US 8 - 16" circular
Yarn: Approx 100 grams of fingering weight yarn (about 400 yards), I used Zen Yarn Garden Serenity Sock "It's a Girl" (80% Merino, 10% Cashmere, 10% Nylon) It is so soft and squooshibly perfect!
Knit two strands together for the entire pattern.

This cowl makes for great semi-mindless knitting because there are only two pattern rounds to remember:
Regular round = k2, p1, k1, p1 (repeat around)
Crossed round = C2*, p1, k1, p1 (repeat around)
*C2 = knit into the back of the second stitch on needle (leave on needle), then into the back of the first stitch. Slip both stitches off the needle - the stitches cross into a 2 stitch cable.
I knit left handed, so, all you righties out there, your cable will cross the other way

Anniversary Cowl - Close

Cast on a multiple of 5 stitches – I cast on 110
Join in the round - and (say it with me) be sure your stitches are not twisted.
Purl one round
Knit 2 regular rounds
Knit 1 crossed round

Continue with 3 regular rounds followed by 1 crossed round.
Repeat with a 3 regular, and 1 crossed round pattern until "done".
Finish with 2 regular rounds and bind off in purl.
My finished cowl is 8" tall.

Anniversary Cowl - flat

I blocked my cowl with the BO as the bottom since that edge seemed to have more visual weight to it. I also squished the cable rib together at the top and stretched it out at the bottom during blocking to create a nice flare.

Anniversary Cowl - on 2

I am thrilled with the squishy, cozy weight of this cowl.
Long live cowls!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I can't wait to make this one and thanks for sharing it!!

December 07, 2008 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa! imagine my surprise when i saw my face there in your mosaic! anyway, this cowl looks awesome. i'll be making this one too.

December 07, 2008 6:00 PM  
Blogger Bertha said...

Oh man! I am totally making this, it's perfect! And thank you for including me in your mosaic!!

December 07, 2008 8:09 PM  
Blogger katie lore said...

Another winner!
Thanks for the pattern!

December 08, 2008 9:02 AM  
Blogger Beatriz said...

I just added it to my favorites. Great job.

December 08, 2008 10:15 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Fantastic--I am totally making this one, too!

December 10, 2008 6:27 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love this! Congrats, I loved knitting my Gloria! :)

December 10, 2008 10:32 PM  
Blogger donnadb said...

Thank you for the Gloria cowl! It rescued a beautiful skein of STR Mediumweight that became ferociously ugly as socks. Can't wait to knit this one!

December 18, 2009 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home