Wednesday, July 09, 2008

1, 2, 3... cla-po-tee

Clapotis - chair

I am a little sad to be finis with my Clapotis.
I now completely understand why there are knitters out there (like Very Pink) who have knit 10.

The pattern is not totally mindless, but it's simple enough to "multi-task knit" and pick up/put down easily.
I wanted to keep myself from auto-piloting though (which I have a strong tendency to do), so I purled the "drop stitches" AND used stitch markers. Even still... I did make a couple mistakes to let the soul out.

Clapotis - close up

The Clapotis pattern has a rhythm of 3 and 3 [knit, knit, knit then twist, knit (or purl), twist] - the little voice in my head kept repeating "1, 2, 3... cla - po - tee" as I went along.
Or at least it did after I clued into the fact that it was "cla-po-tee" and not "cla-pot-isss" - duh!
::smacks forehead::

Many of my previous projects have been superwash, so this was the first time I used spit splicing (or to be a little less crude - a felted join) on a project, and all I can say about it is: Wow! That totally rocks!

Clapotis on me

Pattern: Clapotis
Yarn: Blue Sky 100% Alpaca
Needles: US 5
Finished size: 62" long, 16" wide
Modifications: 5 increase repeats, 15 straight section repeats
[Ravelry]


I think that the initial skein squish of the alpaca fooled me a bit into thinking if would be a softer finished scarf. I am not a scratchy wool lover. In fact I am a fairly recent animal fiber convert - about the same time I started knitting a year and a half ago. Don't get me wrong, it is soft - but when I put it around my neck there is a little scratchy hair feeling to it. I may just have SNS (sensitive neck syndrome) - I wonder if there is something I can take for that.
The alpaca is also very warm, AND it's July - so I am reserving judgment for when I can really take it out for a test drive.

Although there is no more fun, bouncy feeling now that I have blocked it - I really like the look of blocked vs. unblocked... and it has fabulous weight and drape.

Clapotis - folded

If I ever do make another Clapotis (which is highly probable) I think I will choose a varigated yarn. I find it hard to believe that I am saying this - since I feel horribly scarred by pooling with varigated yarns - but I really like the effect of color changes with the dropped stitches - like here, here, here, here and here.

All in all, I'm a happy clap-er.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

yup, you've got the clap. :)

I knew it was clap-o-tee (thanks high school French class!) but me and my Southern self just kept wanting to call it clap-Otis.

July 09, 2008 8:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle O said...

Wow...I had no idea there was another name for "spit and splice", as I like to call it.

I showed that technique to a woman once at the airport in Chicago. I'm sure we looked a little odd there with our yarn in our mouths....

July 10, 2008 7:37 AM  
Blogger Beatriz said...

Great job! I hope to finish mine soon this summer.

July 10, 2008 2:34 PM  
Blogger magnusmog said...

it's beautiful!

July 12, 2008 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home