Sunday, May 18, 2008

OK... So... I lied

I typed yesterday that I was not starting a cowl... and then all I could think of was cowls. Perhaps it was because of this yarn... my recent acquisition from the Zen Yarn Garden Semi-solid sock club...
Harmony Semi-Solid "Rambling Rose"
...which has been screaming to be up higher up than my feet.

So I pulled it out last night and cast on for Gloria version 2.0 (version 1.0 is here)

Gloria version 2.0

This time I cast on 85 instead of 99, and I am increasing by 2 stitches every 5-7 rounds so that it is a little cozier at the top and flares a bit at the bottom.
I also wanted to have more of a transition from the seed stitch to the plain stockinette to eliminate the harsh line and stop the tendency to fold at that point.
After the 3 rounds of seed stitch, I did one round of *k2, p1*, then a round of *k3, p1*, a round of *k4, p1, ending with a round of *k5, p1*. I like the random look of the transition so far.
Although I am reserving judgment until I can try it on off the needles.


February in May

I also started my second February Baby sweater by Elizabeth Zimmerman during nap time today. After my first one, I knew that I wanted to try another one without the gull stitch lace. I'm using Dream in Color Classy in "Cloud Jungle".

So far I really like the yarn, except it is quite smelly. It's not a bad smell, but enough to make me need to take a break from it. I think it will be just fine after washing it. However it does make me think that I may want to wash the yarn first if I knit with it again.


I was tagged a few weeks ago for the top 100 yarns meme by Michelle of Knitting in Transit, and I have no good reason at all why I have not done it yet - especially since it is my first real meme (woo-hoo!).

Here are the details:
Using the top 100 yarns on Ravelry (by number of projects):
Bold the ones you’ve used and would use again;
Cross out the ones you’ve used and would not use again; and
Italicize the ones you’ve never tried, but would like to.
Add comments as desired, and then pass the meme along to 5 knitters/crocheters. Link back to this post and to the person who tagged you.

Instead of putting a huge list of so many things I have not used (I'm still pretty much a newbie), I have only included the ones I "marked".

1. Cascade 220 Wool – I’ve heard this is a great “go to” yarn, there has to be a reason it it #1
3. Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted - I just gotta at some point
4. Noro Kureyon – Only the new sock weight, which probably doesn't count for this
5. Caron Simply Soft - meh
6. Lily Sugar’n Cream Solid - just fine
9. Lion Brand Wool-Ease Solid - I don't like the acrylic mix
10. Noro Silk Garden - Actually I used the "lite"
11. Koigu Painter’s Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM)
14. Lion Brand Cotton-Ease
15. Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock Multi
23. Zitron Trekking (XXL) – in the stash waiting!
29. Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock – Mediumweight – in the stash!
41. Lion Brand Microspun - meh
42. Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Merino - socks that were a gift, so I'm not sure how it wears
47. Rowan RYC Cashsoft DK
59. Dream in Color Smooshy – In the stash and casting on soon
61. Dream in Color Classy – Just cast on today, and like it - but it's smelly
87. Lily Sugar’n Cream Stripes - just fine
89. Lion Brand Magic Stripes – another meh
99. Cascade Fixation Spray Dyed/Effects

Other yarns not in the Ravelry top 100, but in my list (and not yet in my stash) to try in the future...
Wollmeise
MadelineTosh - Glazed Sock
Ewa's Sockenwolle - Wool/cotton
Hello Yarn - Fat Sock

I know I am supposed to tag 5 people, but I am going to be lazy and just invite those who have an affinity for listy things to opt in.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home