Monday, April 07, 2008

The Opera and a Slushie

This weekend Mom and I went to see La Boheme at The Met via an HD simulcast at a local theater.
It was amazing!
We could even have popcorn and an slushie - I know some people might not think that is a good thing - but I do.
We were able to enjoy being ultra close - it was so entertaining and engaging to really see all of the acting that goes along with the music.
Also, between the acts we were able to see behind the curtain - the scene change to Act II was astounding!
We had such a great time, that when we came home we got tickets to the next show of the season. I would highly recommend it if you have a chance to go in your area.

Yesterday we went to pal around with Nuttnbunny and Z.
The boys had a great time racing around on all types of conveyances
Speed Demon
- and somehow we ended up coming home with the Cozy Coupe!
On the Racetrack
Thanks for all the fun, Nuttnbunny!

I recently started working on a pattern that has been in my queue (and on my mind) for awhile, Elizabeth Zimmerman's February Baby Sweater from The Knitter's Almanac. It's my first attempt at sweater knitting - best to start with something small, I say. Now that I am past the arms on the body, I think I may be ready for something larger in the future.
EZ February Baby Jacket
Yarn: Rowan DK Cashsoft
Needles: US 5 Addi Turbo Circs
[Ravelry]

The Rowan Cashsoft is so soft that it has a slippery feel. I think it might be nicer to use bamboo needles to combat that a bit - but I don't have any in the right size.
The color is really enigmatic - I feel like it's constantly changing with the light. Sometimes it's really blue, other times more teal-y, and sometimes a little gray.

I'm such a Ravelry junkie! I don't know how I could do without it anymore. Using Ravelry as I started this project, I was able to draw on the expertise of the 900-odd people who have knit this pattern and added notes and photos. Not only that, but I was able to narrow that down and look only at photos and notes from people who had made the same pattern out of the same exact yarn I was planning on using. It gave me a good idea of what to plan for getting the gauge I wanted and for the amount of yarn needed.
I also stalked some of the photos to see how many repeats of the lace pattern people had done on the body and sleeves, and what I thought looked the best for proportions.
I find the fact that I am able to do this astounding! Thank you, Ravelry!

Edited to add:
Nikki is right - I am gushing my love for Ravelry, and I should should take this opportunity to plug the Ravelraiser to help support it!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

Wow! That sounds like a ton of fun!! (and I'd like the slushies and popcorn too!)

as for the sweater and Ravelry and all: I agree like 1000%!

If you go to the for the love of ravelry forum there's a thread about ravelraisers - trying to get $10000 for a new server... for $10 you're entered into the drawing for (at this time) 6 "dream stashes" and like 15 other prizes! it's crazy... I put my money in the pot just because of all the wonderfulness I've gotten back from Ravelry!

ok, enough rambling in your comments now :D

April 07, 2008 4:57 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

We had a blast too! Aren't those zooomy boys the dreamiest?!?

Thx for the Ravelraiser plug. We blew da lid of da sucka!

April 08, 2008 6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home