Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cowls are the new scarf...

...or so I've been told.

I had no idea that I was so up on (or is it down with) the trends.

Actually it's Grandma Gloria who is so trendy.
She was the one who asked for a cowl.

Gloria Cowl

I was nervous about even adding it to Ravelry as a pattern - it's just a plain tube with a seed stitched edge after all.

How was I to know that I was adding a cowl pattern into the mix just before the start of Cowl Craze 2008.

I have loved seeing all the different versions of the Gloria Cowl on Ravelry,

...and reading about them
here, here, here, here, here, here and here.

I just borrowed the original cowl back to re-block and record my gauge and measurements.
If you are wondering... I added it here.

So many fabulous cowls and cowl patterns have been surfacing lately... perhaps I should announce (to fit with the craze) that I am currently working on a cowl, but no... instead I have sock plans for this...

Happy Forest

and sweater plans for this...
Dream in Color Classy - "Cloud Jungle"

and this...
Tessan? Jessan?

I found this pile (8 skeins) of white, superwash, worsted weight wool at a local senior center "shoppe" in a grab bag with 4 more skeins of a different brand. I snagged them for a couple bucks to dye and possibly turn into a toddler sweater. I have not been able to find either yarn through Ravelry or the internet. I'm not even sure if the brand is Tessan or Jessan.

My other thrifty purchase (for which I do not yet have a plan) was a 75 cent bag of...
Green Mountain Spinnery - Ear Flap Hat Pattern

Green Mountain Spinnery Double Twist Worsted
250 yards of the bricky red color and 125 of the green.
It included a chaming ear flap hat pattern as well.
There was only one tag naming one of the colors as "Bittersweet" - I'm guessing the red one, but who knows.


I finally finished my "Harlot Socks" that I started for the Yarn Harlot's visit back in April.
Harlot Socks Toes

For some reason the pink, red and orange together just makes me smile,
and I am flabbergasted that the stripes worked out to match - even with two splices in one of the socks.

Harlot Socks Finished
Pattern: Improvised Toe-Up
Yarn: Lana Grossa Meilenweit 100 Cotton Stretch
Needles: Needles: US 1 Knit PIcks 40" circ
[Ravelry]

I am still working on Cascading Leaves in Shi-Bui "Honey". [Ravelry]

Two legs of cascading leaves

I really like the pattern - it has a very intuitive feel.
I'm not 100% in love with the slight striping effect of the colorway - but overall I think it is a good pairing of yarn and pattern.


A little friend from out East

Thanks to Nikki for sending me a wonderful surprise package from Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival - including the first of my flock. It was like my own little Ravelraiser prize!
She is participating in the American Cancer Society Relay for Life soon, and I'm sure she would gladly accept more pledges!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nikki said...

You've got some great stuff there!! And yep, still accepting donations!

May 17, 2008 3:59 PM  
Blogger magnusmog said...

lots of yarny goodness to keep you busy :)

May 18, 2008 2:56 PM  
Blogger Bertha said...

Thanks for the link! I'm pretty sure that your cowl was the cowl that started it all! You're such a trendsetter!

May 27, 2008 8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home