Saturday, May 24, 2008

Knitting Choreography (or... I'll show you mine if you show me yours)

In the past year and a half I have learned a lot about manipulating yarn and sticks to create fabric. One thing I have discovered in that time is that there really are many ways knitters make this happen. There are pickers and throwers. There are those knitters that only move one needle and tuck the other under an arm. There are those with big movements, and those who hardly seem to move at all.
But even among knitters who knit the same style, each knitter has their own nuanced "knitting choreography" - a much rehearsed dance of the hands.

Those of you who read here may know of my oddball knitting style I call "Lefty-Combined".
I have not yet run into any other knitters who share my style, but I would love to.

Here is a short video of my hands in motion:

I am trying to go slowly at first to show my oddball ways a little clearer.
I move stitches from the right hand needle to the left.
The leading leg of my stitches are behind the needle.
I hold my yarn in my right hand and catch it from underneath with my needle to pull it through the stitch.
I tend to keep my right needle still, but I have noticed I do a little movement with my right thumb. Each stitch it jumps from the front of the needle to the back as I pull the yarn through.

Since the video quality isn't that great, here are a few stills to illustrate:
Lefty Combined


What is unique about your knitting choreography?
I would love to see other knitting in motion, please let me know if you decide to show yours!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cath said...

That is wild and crazy! Thanks for posting that. I wonder if what you are doing is something like the way people can knit "backwards", like when you are doing entrelac and don't want to keep turning your work since the rows are so short. Pretty cool!

May 25, 2008 8:47 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Hi ya! We knit the same :) Have you *always* knit this way? How did you arrive at it? Were you taught? I stumbled on my style. I've got a couple of YouTube videos up http://youtube.com/watch?v=7046rdhRTWU and, of course, my DVD www.leftoutknitter.com that shows "our" method as well as leading leg on the front of the needles. I adore knitting! Isn't it crazy how hard it is to film yourself knitting? Fortunately I have professional shooting my DVD or it would be pretty crummy :)

May 25, 2008 5:39 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

Whoa - I had no idea! I'll have to see if there's anything interesting about my tech. I think it's plain vanilla.

Now that spring has spring you MUST come visit. It's heavenly out here. Or we could convene on Como. :-)

May 27, 2008 6:37 PM  
Blogger Beatriz said...

There you are...now I can add you to my blog sidebar and stop by. Isn't it nice to know you are not the only lefty out there who knits this way? I absolutely love it. It's pretty fast too.

June 02, 2008 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home