Sunday, June 10, 2007

School's Out For Summer

Friday was the last day of school. It doesn't really feel like summer vacation is here to me yet. Perhaps when I don't have to wake up for work tomorrow it will start to sink in. :)

Apricot Jalapeño Jelly
I have been asked for the recipe a few times since I made the jelly last weekend, so I thought I would post it here. Nancy originally found it online, but she made a few changes to make it her own.

Nancy's Apricot Jalapeño Jelly
½ to 1 c. jalapeño peppers, stems and seeds removed (I only used 1/2 c. with my last batch, but I would use more next time)
1 large red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed (you could use ½ red + ½ orange bell pepper)
2 c. cider vinegar
1 ½ c. dried apricots, finely chopped (about ½ pound or so)
6 c . sugar
3 oz. liquid pectin
4 drops red food color (or whatever to get color you like)
Chop peppers fine and combine with chopped apricots and sugar in a large saucepan or stock pot. Bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Mix in pectin and food coloring. Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal. Then process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes to ensure proper seal.


Sunday's Walk
Today was gorgeous, and we went walking with Grandma Sharlene and Great-Grandma Alphie down on the Stone Arch Bridge. It was perfect weather for wandering around outside, and it has been awhile since we have been walking in that area. Not only is it beautiful, but it is filled with so much history.
Sunday's Walk
Davin says I stink because today was absolutely beautiful, and the rest of my first week of summer vacation is supposed to be exactly the same way!
To that I say "nana-nana-boo-boo"!

I know that I need to have a summer plan for myself - at this point the summer always feels endless, but it gets to August pretty quickly and then I feel myself starting to cram things in. My first goal was to finish a few things I have already started. I checked off one today by finishing the cashmere cowl I was working on. I like its simplicity, and the cashmere is so snuggly.
Cashmere Cowl
I have books to read, project ideas, many things I have been meaning to "get to" for a long time all in my summer plan, but I won't reveal them now. That way if I don't get to them, no one will be the wiser - after all, it is summer and there will be much relaxing and hanging out with the budlet.

I am very excited about my latest discovery: I did a little research on ants and peonies. I have so many great peonies now, but I didn't want to bring them inside because of the ants. However I read recently that if you submerge the blooms in water for about five minutes you drive the ants out without hurting the blooms. I tried it tonight, and I think it worked.
Sans Ants

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger magnusmog said...

Have a great vacation - hope the weather stays fine :)

June 12, 2007 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home