Saturday, April 28, 2007

Home Alone (sans Macaulay)

Davin is finally home. He has been gone all week in Chi-town with meetings for work. The Budlet and I were home alone (sans Macaulay) all week. Thanks to Grandma Sharlene, Papa John and Auntie Sara for helping me out! The bud and I had a lot of fun, but I am glad to once again share parenting duties...and to have Davin home. :)

Today was a beautiful day - sunny with a little breeze. We got out and tried to go to Craftstravaganza, but it was very crowded and made me cranky right away trying to be in a small space with many people, so we didn't stay long. I hate that crowds can have such an effect on me.

Instead we came home and did a few things around the house including finally planting our free maple tree. This is the tree that started growing in an empty pot of dirt sitting out by our shed. We think that a squirrel planted it in there for us. Thanks for the free tree, squirrel.

While the Budlet was napping I worked on finishing up my tealy-stripe socks while sitting outside and enjoying the nice weather. I really love the colors. I am excited to start wearing these - but probably more often when it gets cooler again.

Earlier this week I made my first attempt at dyeing yarn - I guess saying that this was my first attempt implies that there will be more attempts - and I probably will do it again. It was fun, and seems to be less expensive than buying hand dyed yarn. I will have to see how it knits up.
I used Kool-Aid (Tropical Punch, Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade, and Grape) and followed's tutorial. I was surprised by how simple it was - especially since I don't have any special supplies. I skeined the yarn around a big box, dyed it in the microwave, hung it to dry on hangers over the sink and wound it into balls using a stirring stick Sharlene got us in Scotland like a Nøstepinde.
I ended up with this:
Kool-Aid Dye Job

Radley (aka budlet) seems to be coming down with a little something. The snot-stream started yesterday, and today he was sounding a bit like a seal with some periodic coughing. He doesn't seem too phased by it though and is sleeping just fine, so I am hoping it will pass quickly.
Here he is hangin' with Pip while we were planting the squirrel maple.

Labels: , ,


Blogger magnusmog said...

Fantastic - I think you may be using a genuine Scottish Spurtle in your yarn dyeing!

April 29, 2007 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home