Thursday, June 21, 2007

Computer Vortex

Last night I was pulled into some type of computer vortex. I received and invitation to Ravelry - an online community for knitters and crocheters. Suddenly it was very late and usually the Bud is quite an early riser - I was a little worried.
Fortunately he went to bed later than usual as well and slept in until 8:15! Whoa! (when you are expecting 6am - 8:15 is a dream)

Our days around here have been pretty laid back since summer started.
We've filled the days with biking on the Greenway, walking to the library and some crafty stuff during nap times.

20 Months
It's hard to believe Radley was 20 Months last week!
And yesterday he read his first book. The book Hug by Jez Alborough only has three words repeated through the book: hug, Bobo, and Mommy.
Yesterday (in his little reading corner) he picked up the book and was "reading" it. He was jabbering as if telling the story inserting the word "Bobo" every so often. When Auntie Sara came over later, I asked him to read the story about Bobo wanting a hug to her. He went and got the right book and then jabbered the story saying "hug" and "Bobo". *sigh* They grow up so fast.
The Bud's Reading Corner

Last weekend at Mom and Dad's I brought home a few items from my childhood: a small rocking chair and a doll cradle originally from my great-aunt Betty.
Radley has been having a great time rocking, and putting his babies in the cradle. I made a quick quilt to cover the mattress. I love to make projects where I don't have to buy a thing. I made this with small pieces I had on hand and backed it with part of a flat sheet I stained with tea last year.
cradle and rocker

I also finally fixed the big hole in our couch in the den. I love our couch. Not only is it comfortable and well made, but it was also free from a friend who was getting a new couch. Someday I would love to have it recovered (or at least get a slip cover), but for now in the den, it can match our eclectic "junk style".
Couch Rip Repaired
I put patches on the rips (hmmm, the patches match the doll quilt). and turned a ripped pair of jeans into arm rest covers. Davin thinks we should just keep patching it all over. If we do that, I think I will need a real upholstery needle and maybe a thimble - it hurt my finger a bit sewing on those patches.

I've also been plugging away at the camouflage socks. I have finally turned the heel on both of them. I am trying to not let myself start anything new until I have finished them, but we will see.
Lorna's Laces - Envy Socks
I have been disappointed in the flaws I have encountered in my Lorna's Laces yarn. I have heard so many great things about it, that when I had a gift certificate for my birthday, I wanted to try it. I have had to hide a few yarn defects as I knit. I'm not sure why I didn't get more excited about making these after I started. I think as I get to the flat part of the foot I will like the colorway better. Although I have a bit of pooling at the ankle - I think it will go away after the decreases into the foot. Perhaps a different pattern would have been better, but I am still learning. I think for my next pair I may be ready to up the ante a bit and try a more complicated pattern... perhaps Naga, Diamante or Jaywalker.

I may take a break from socks and try something completely different... maybe the infamous BSJ.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger magnusmog said...

lucky you getting on to Ravelry. I'm still in the queue but that will give me time to finish the one hundred and one projects that I have on the go. Not to mention learn how to make socks :)

June 22, 2007 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home