Saturday, April 18, 2009

Smoke and Mirrors

Chocolate Young One Cardi

It's not that I really wanted to try duplicate stitch, or that I wanted to bow down to the "chocqua" gods. No, it's all smoke and mirrors.

I started this little chocolate toddler cardigan mid-July last summer (yes, many months ago). I was well on my way to finishing it within a few lazy weeks, but then...I started the second skein. Yes, it was from the same dyelot, but as I started knitting it was so clearly milk chocolate next to dark chocolate, breakfast blend next to espresso. It was jarring and disappointing.

Why the duplicate stitch?

I really didn't feel like ripping it out at the time. So I started thinking of options. It's cotton (a wonderfully soft and lovely cotton by Blue Sky), so I couldn't overdye it very easily. If I ripped back and alternated skeins it would look stripey - blech. I could rip out the whole thing and see which of my 4 skeins looked the best together. While I was thinking I finished the body of the sweater - just to see what it would look like. I couldn't decide what to do, so the sweater went into a time out. I kept it was an active WIP in Ravelry, just so I would remember I should deal with it at some point.

I have been jonesing for a FO lately - my knitting mojo has been on vacation, the last thing I have actually finished was my Pi - gasp, that was back in January. I thought to myself, "this little sweater only needs some sleeves. I will just continue on and finish the sleeves and see what I think."

As you can probably guess, it was no better, it was just finished. So, what to do with my little two-toned cardigan?
Distract the eye!
Smoke and mirrors.
Duplicate stitch.

Chocolate Young One Cardi (closer)
Ravelry Project Page

My one complaint is that I was knitting this sweater as gender neutral - to be swayed one way or the other by button choice. Now with the duplicate stitch, I think it looks more feminine regardless of which buttons I choose.
So I picked up some little orange flowers. I just couldn't pass them up.

Chocolate Young One Cardi - buttons


So why have I been in such a knitting dry spell?
I have been focused on a different Work in Progress - which should be finished late September.

Current WIP

I have been feeling the knitting mojo finally coming back lately, and have some ideas of knits to work on before this fall.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Congratulations!

April 19, 2009 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Gretchen said...

Congratulations!
I have been reading your blog for awhile here and really enjoy the updates. That sweater is very cute too.

April 19, 2009 11:15 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

Love the sweater. I just put those same buttons on a cardigan for a baby too!

Congratulations on your upcoming project. can't wait to see it all finished :)

April 19, 2009 6:28 PM  
Blogger Michelle O said...

Congratulations! How exciting! I can't wait to see the finished project!

April 20, 2009 6:42 AM  
Blogger SwissKnits! said...

WHOOOO HOOOOOO Congratulations!!!!!

April 20, 2009 11:40 AM  
Blogger cath said...

wonderful news--and a great save with the sweater!!

April 21, 2009 10:21 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Congratulations!! What wonderful news! :o)

April 21, 2009 5:58 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

aww! Congratulations!

No wonder your knitting mojo was kaput! your creative energies were very busy elsewhere :D

April 25, 2009 12:56 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Hi there- I just found your blog, and couldn't resist commenting when I saw the ultrasound pics. I'm a sucker for ultrasound pics! Congrats!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Happy knitting-
ali

May 08, 2009 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Kristena said...

Oh La - congrats to you, Mr. 5, and the Bud!!! I haven't stopped by in awhile and just saw all your posts...wonderful news!!

Hope you are feeling well - hugs!

May 15, 2009 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home