Monday, April 27, 2009

A Senior Shoppe Jim

The Bud likes it when we match

We actually had some warm days last week. Warm enough to eat out on the deck and chat with the neighbors. It's gotten a bit chilly and rainy since then, but soon it will be deck weather all the time - I can feel it.
And just in case you didn't know, I totally *heart* my deck.

Thank you for all of the congratulations on the last post. We are pretty excited around here. As I get more and more into the second trimester, I feel my knitting mojo returning. Soon we will have the big appointment where we should learn gender.

Then I can know if I want to use this for a BSJ,
STR - Ravenscroft


or perhaps one of these for another February Baby sweater.
Ravissant Sherry Baby

I think I might need to make another one of these too.


Until then... I'm working on a Jim.
A Jim?
Yes, a Jim.

We don't dress up much around here at la casa de cinco, but we made an attempt on Easter. I dug around in the hand-me-downs from my favorite nephew and found a sweater vest that was a right-now-perfect-fit on the Bud. He loved it, and called it a "Jim".
We were confused for a bit, but we have come to the conclusion that he met someone recently named Jim who was wearing a sweater vest.
Mr. 5 decided to join in the fun and wear a vest too, and the Bud declared them both "Jims" for Easter.

Hence my latest project - a larger Jim for the Bud.
I even swatched. Whoa!

Whoa! It's a swatch

All the yarn is from a find at the senior run gift shoppe (that's right - a shoppe, not a shop) at the community center where I sometimes have meetings for work.
The main color was a white wool (similar to Cascade 220) that I dyed with coffee.
The stripes are some discontinued Green Mountain Spinnery I snagged at the same shoppe for a few quarters.
I started with only my wits and a little math, but then I took a look at Blank Canvas [rav link] and that was pretty much my plan, so I will make that my official pattern.

Jim for the Bud

I love how Yarn Pirate's striping pattern worked out with one thicker stripe in the middle, and imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right?

I realize it is spring, and then it will be summer - probably not the best time to get the most wear out of a wool vest... so I am trying to make it a bit big for the Bud with the hope that he will still be able to wear it this fall. He's been growing so much, we will have to see how my over sizing works out.


One final reminder...
The RSE drawing is coming to a close this Friday (click on the image in the sidebar to see all posts related to the drawing). I should be able to draw names on Saturday.
Thank you so much to everyone who has donated so far!
If you would still like to make a donation and/or be entered in the drawing - see this post.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home