Thursday, August 10, 2006

Back to School...Soon

I can't believe that the summer is almost over for me. I always feel like once August 1st hits, my summer hours are numbered. Part of me wants to do as much as possible to "get it all in," and part of me wants to savor every minute a can where I can get away with doing nothing.

One thing I do like about going back to school... is actually having a paycheck again! (Don't get me wrong, I love my job - but I love summers off too)

In honor of not having a paycheck right now, I made myself a back to school skirt with materials I had on hand. I have a healthy stash of Marimekko fabric from an unnamed but probably obvious source. I have made a number of things out of my stash - I love how it ages with washing - it just gets softer and more comfortable. Now, if I had to actually buy the fabric, I would probably be too afraid to make anything from it.
I made my skirt from a print called "Tulipunainen". I really like this print - I actually have it in three colors. The green became a skirt two summers ago; the orange is still waiting in the stash.
I am all about easy projects, and this skirt was no exception. I used a very simple pattern - it has four "A" shaped pieces in front and back so that the top is more fitted and the bottom flares out. I like how the vertical print of the fabric worked out with the flare at the bottom.

I don't officially go back to work for a few weeks yet, but I am unofficially working tomorrow and bringing the kid along. We will see how that all goes. This will be the first time he has gone to work with me since he has been mobile. It could be fun.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home