Saturday, August 05, 2006

Pants and a Pal - Whiplash

Here is my entry for the Whiplash competition this month. I am entering this in the deconstruct/reconstruct category. I decided to take my husband’s old shirt and make pants and a pal for my 9 and a half month old son.

Here is the shirt before:


Here are the pants...
back:


front:

and the pal...
front:

back:


The shirt is made of a more industrial type weave (it made me think of Dickies brand). I like the orange, blue and brownish colors, and the orange ribbon label inside was too cute to toss, so I added part of it to a pocket. The colors with my digital camera didn’t seem to come out well, so I put the pants in my scanner.

Original Shirt tag:


Scanned Picture of Pants:


I liked the thicker fabric for a crawling boy. I originally wanted to have the pockets as knee patches, but there was not enough fabric on the front of the shirt to work with without doing piecing.
For a pattern I took an old Simplicity pattern I had for a simple jumper.
With creative folding of the pattern piece, I was able to cut out pieces for pants without drawing out a new pattern for myself.

I knew that I wanted to make the bottom of the pants roll up with a snappy strap on the bottom.

I sewed French seams down both sides of the legs to make the seams look nice when rolled – I don’t have a serger, so French seams have been my work around for awhile.

Along with making the roll up legs, I also wanted to make the elastic waist adjustable. I sewed the casing open on the inside in the center-back and sewed a button on one side. The elastic is sewn down on one end in the ditch at center back, but comes around to a loose end held by the button. This makes the waist easily adjustable in the future. I have seen this idea a lot lately in maternity and baby pants.


As for the Pal – what kid doesn’t want a pal to match their pants? I have been inspired lately by the stuffed creatures I have seen on other blogs, and recently made a couple out of old boxers and some remnants. The collar of this shirt inspired me to make a cat this time using the points of the collar for the ears. The limbs all have a layer of felt and a layer of crunchy plastic (a favorite of my boy). Inside the stuffed body is a small metal container with a little jingle bell I found in my junk drawer. On the back I added a felt tail.

Pal in action:


Pants in action:



whipup

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cute! you did a great job, and i especially love the tag detail on the pocket. I wanted to ask- what did you use for your crinkly fabric? i have been wanting to make something with crinkles, i have assumed cellophane, but i heven't tried it yet. thanks!

August 06, 2006 7:06 AM  
Blogger Orinda5 said...

Thanks!
As for the crinkly sound...I have a bunch of clear thin plastic (I think it is just cellophane) that is designed to be used like tissue paper. My husband is a store designer at a housewares store, so he often brings home random items that have been opened or returned. I have a stash of it that has snowflakes and another that has red polka dots. I have not tried to wash any of the items I have made with it yet, but I would think the only worry would be heat - so I probably would not dry them.

August 06, 2006 7:56 AM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

nice work!

August 07, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Gisele Schoene said...

Lovely!

August 10, 2006 6:24 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Those pants are adorable - I love everything about them.

August 10, 2006 1:39 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Thanks for your nice comment! Your pants and a pal combo is pretty darn cute, too!

August 15, 2006 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic pants! I like all the details, rolled cuff..french hems, the little adorable label. I don't suppose you'd be up for posting a tutorial on that waistband would you?

August 17, 2006 9:34 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

You've added so many great details to those pants! And a pal to go with is always a welcome addition, imho. Great work!

August 18, 2006 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely! So beautifully finished!

August 20, 2006 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home