Tuesday, January 05, 2010

A story of socks reborn

It's a new year, a time for looking ahead and focusing on the future.
It is in that spirit that I plunged a pair of socks into kool-aid and vinegar last night.

It was January 2008 when I knit these foot coverings of orangey goodness:
Dreamsicle Monkeys - Finished

I was in love. I dyed the yarn myself with kool-aid.

Dye Job #2

The repeat worked well with the pattern.

Dreamsicle Monkeys - Finished

They were the most beautiful socks I had created.
(cue ominous music)
Until the unthinkable happened...

new - black - leather - shoes

those new shoes coupled with my sock pride (I just had to show them off in my new shoes) ultimately lead to hand-dyed, hand-knit sock disaster.

I have no pictures because the result made me so sad: black stains all over the foot of each sock.
I soaked, and soaked the socks, and much of the black came out, but out came most of the beautiful orange color as well. I could hardly bring myself to look at the resulting dingy yellow color.

It took over a year and a half, but I was finally emotionally ready to do something about this sock tragedy.

Last night I overdyed them with some Blue Raspberry and Tropical Punch.
I wasn't sure what the final color would be, but they ended up a nice rusty orange-red.

Socks Reborn -2

The feet have some wear - fuzziness that looks a little white in the photo on the heel and ball, but it's not horrible for 2 year old socks.

Socks Reborn -1

It's almost like a brand new pair of socks for a brand new year.

Socks Reborn -3

Happy new year, everyone!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle O said...

I shrunk a pair of the most beautiful socks on accident about a year ago. Unfortunately, there was not way to save them. Your socks, on the other foot, look lovely!

January 05, 2010 3:37 PM  
Blogger SwissKnits! said...

Great save!!!!

January 05, 2010 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home