Saturday, December 13, 2008

Deadlines Make Me Rebel

There is nothing like a deadline on a project to make we want to work on something else.

I still have a few projects to finish with a very specific deadline coming up fast. But instead of working on those, this week I found myself starting this:

Rainbow Pi Shawl

Pattern: Pi Shawl by Elizabeth Zimmerman
Yarn: Trekking XXL #100
Needles: US 6 - 40" circ (magic looped to the 288 increase)
[Ravelry]


I snagged 2 skeins of this amazing colorway at a fabulous little yarn shop this Fall. I have had a crush on #100 for a long while, and could not stop myself from buying more than one skein. For some reason, I wanted to make something other than socks. I love the simple geometric circles of Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Pi shawl... especially with the YOs every 6th round.

Rainbow Pi Shawl WIP

I made it past the increase to 288 stitches on the first day. The rings of color are still pleasingly clear past that point. I am hopeful that they won't be too "muddy" past the 576 increase.

I am telling myself now that I need to finish other things before picking it up again. That doesn't stop me from contemplating border edgings. I want something that keeps with the simple style that won't compete with the colorway (no gull lace etc.). Do I do a plain garter stitch edge perpendicular to the shawl? That changes the direction of the colorway, and I'm not totally sold on that. Another idea I had was doing a simple edging of a few inches of YO rows - every other round instead of every 6th.
Ideas? Thoughts?


In the FO pile I a have a few more mitts. I can show these, because I am certain the intended recipient is not one of my readers.

Noro Mitts Five

Pattern: Improvised (details on Ravelry)
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Sock
Needles: US 1


These were in a time out for about 2 weeks - finished with the ends waiting to be woven in - because the fraternal-ness was bugging me. Now they have grown on me a bit.

Mitt #2 Mitt #1

I originally thought I might knit two more mitts from the skein and decide on which should be paired together. Now - after a time out - I have decided to let the Noro be Noro and consider these a pair. (Maybe I'm just lazy and thinking of Pi.)

Noro Mitts


Many of you know of my affinity for the number five. I couldn't resist adding this darling charm to my recent order from LizzyBleu. Somehow the listing for it was right below my reserved listing - it was fate.

Five Necklace

I can't show my other gifty purchases here, but take a look at her shop of fabulous items made from vintage typewriter keys and other recycled objects.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger magnusmog said...

The mitts are beautiful, you can't beat Noro for colour :)

December 13, 2008 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home